Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lab Exercise: Making a Notebook (Part II)

In Part I of Making a Notebook, I showed you how to make a hardcover notebook, much like a printed book. Today, you will see a Japanese style of book binding. Try them both out and see which you like better. The Japanese style has less components and is potentially much quicker and easier, provided that you don't mess up during the sewing (as I did. Often.)

A reminder again: this is how I do things. You might have a better idea for certain steps. By all means. This just works for me and is not the be-all-end-all. If something works better for you, do it.

Required ngredients: insides pages (halved computer paper again, this time cut instead of folded), two pieces of cardboard for covers (I'm using a thinned cardboard this time from a cereal box), two thin stiff objects, clips for the stiff objects, need, some kind of thread, awl, ruler (not pictured because I forgot)

Optional: glue, bone folder




Create your pages. I've cut 8.5"x11" computer paper in half to make a stack of 50 sheets of 8.5"x5.5". My cover cardboard is the same size. I strongly suggest using a thin cardboard like from a cereal box, even if you cover it in other paper; it's easier to hollow through. Stack your paper neatly and covers together and clip them together with your thin stiff objects and clips.


3/4"-1" away from the edge you want to be your binded edge, mark a line parallel to your stiff objects. (I recommend doing this what will be the back of your notebook, just so it looks nicer.) Use your awl to make four holes all the way through your stack, including covers. Space the holes evenly across the line you drew. You can see in the following picture where I placed my first hole. Making the holes may be difficult. If the thread you chose happens to be ribbon, like mine was, don't be afraid to make your holes big. This will save you time and effort later on. If it's yarn or something fairly skinny, you're probably safe as long as the awl goes all the way through.


Cut a long long piece of thread or ribbon. The source I learned from it be suggested eight times the length of the height of your pages, but I've found this to be way more than necessary. Better to be safe than sorry, I suppose. You would still be fine used only six times, I think. Thread your needle. Tie a knot at the end.

Now comes the tricky part: sewing. Don't be afraid to backtrack and redo steps. (Start with the top of your stack facing up.)







 If the sewing went well, your thread should be sticking out the top of the third hole. My original source says, at this point, to loop the thread under the top threads and then pull the loose thread down through the same hole. Thread. Then cut off the excess. My ribbon was to bulky for another pull-though. Instead, I tied a knot on top. This is where the glue comes in. I'm awful at tying secure knots, so I put a drop of glue on my knot to hold it in place. Do whatever suits your project best to secure your sewing.


The final step is optional, but I find it makes using the notebook easier. Using your ruler and a bone folder (or whatever), score a line right along the sewed thread. Then bend your cover along the score. You might do this on both covers, if you want.

 Good job, gang! Notebooks for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment